Polyurethane Tactile Stud System
Mobility Research Polyurethane Tactile Ground Surface Indicators are a specialised product for the orientation of the blind and those with vision impairment and provide an anti-slip surface for all pedestrians.
Polyurethane Tactile Studs have been developed as a retrofit system for new and existing surfaces and are designed and manufactured in New Zealand using high quality, specially formulated polyether based thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU). They exhibit excellent resistance to hydrolysis, microbial and UV attack. Additional benefits include excellent flexibility, shear and impact strength at very low temperatures.
Two types of Polyurethane Tactile Indicators are available:
- Type B Warning/Hazard Tactile Indicators are installed in a grid of raised circular studs on the ground surface
- Type C Directional/Leading Tactile Indicators are installed in a series of raised elongated bars on the Ground surface
Mobility Research specialises in the supply and installation of our individually drilled in Tactile Studs Systems by our team of professional and experienced installers. Self install kits are available for smaller projects.
The stock colour for the Polyurethane Tactile Ground Surface Indicator is Safety Yellow. A vast range of other colours are available and are manufactured to order.
Mobility Research Tactile Ground Surface Indicators are designed and manufactured in New Zealand in compliance with a number of national standards and recommendations:
- NZS/AS 1428.4.1:2009 Design for Access and Mobility, Part 4, Tactile Indicators.
- NZS 4121:2001 Design for Access and Mobility - Buildings and Associated Facilities.
- Land Transport’s R.T.S.14, Guidelines for facilities for blind and vision-impaired pedestrians.
- Land Transport’s Pedestrian Planning and Design Guide.
- The Royal N.Z. Foundation for the Blind Design Guide Recommendations/Specifications.
- AS/NZS 4586:2004 Slip resistance classification of new pedestrian surface materials.
Specifications cover compressive strength, abrasion, abrasion loss and mean coefficient of friction.
Our installations are always carried out using a quality two part epoxy in addition to friction fitting the studs. This provides a superior mechanical bond with the substrate and ensures the long term integrity of the installation by denying access to water and debris under the unit.
Our self install kits include full Installation Instructions
- Click here to download a brochure for Polyurethane Tactile Stud System Products.