Stainless Steel Tactile Stud System
Mobility Research Stainless Steel & Brass Tactile Ground Surface Indicators are a specialised premium paving product for the orientation of the blind and those with vision impairment and provide an anti-slip surface for all pedestrians.
They have been designed by Mobility Research as a retrofit system for new and existing surfaces with the tactile stud and stem CNC machined from a single, solid, billet of Marine Grade 316 Stainless Steel or C360 Brass. You will not find better quality products on the market.
- Type B Warning/Hazard Tactile Indicators are installed in a grid of raised circular studs on the ground surface.
- Type C Directional/Leading Tactile Indicators are installed in a series of raised elongated bars on the Ground surface.
Mobility Research specialises in the supply and installation of our individually drilled in Tactile Stud Systems. Our team of professional and experienced installers operate in Auckland and often travel for larger national projects. Self install kits are available for smaller projects.
Mobility Research Tactile Ground Surface Indicators are designed and manufactured in New Zealand in compliance with a number of national standards and recommendations:
- NZS/AS 1428.4.1:2009 Design for Access and Mobility, Part 4, Tactile Indicators.
- NZS 4121:2001 Design for Access and Mobility - Buildings and Associated Facilities.
- Land Transport’s R.T.S.14, Guidelines for facilities for blind and vision-impaired pedestrians.
- Land Transport’s Pedestrian Planning and Design Guide.
- The Royal N.Z. Foundation for the Blind Design Guide Recommendations/Specifications.
- AS/NZS 4586:2004 Slip resistance classification of new pedestrian surface materials.
Specifications cover compressive strength, abrasion, abrasion loss and mean coefficient of friction.
The relevant standards governing correct layout and orientation for the Tactile Indicators will be complied with and a drilling template positioned and taped to the substrate to avoid movement while drilling. The template incorporates laser cut holes for the studs in the required grid pattern of 50mm centres for Warning Indicators and a 75mm width spacing for Directional Indicators.
The holes are individually drilled and the template removed. Dust and debris is vacuumed from the holes and a quality two part adhesive is injected into each cavity. The studs are fitted and tapped flush with the substrate with a nylon mallet.
The installation can accept light pedestrian traffic immediately as the stud stems are textured to achieve an interference fit. Depending on ambient temperate, the adhesive takes 1-2 hours to cure completely.
- Click here to download a brochure for Stainless Steel Tactile Stud System Products.